Remember this post we did a while back where we headed to the farmer’s market in search of ingredients for some quick and easy summer dishes? Well, this Saturday morning, we headed out again to look for fresh, seasonal ingredients to make a unique meal for ourselves.
Wandering up and down the aisles for inspiration, we got the idea to make a pizza for ourselves with somewhat non-traditional toppings. All different kinds of squash were in abundance at the market on this morning, and we tend to think of them as a very autumnal vegetable, so we picked up some butternut squash. We also brought home some excellent, fresh-made bratwurst from The Proper Beast and Sangak bread from Saffron Jak. With our farmer’s market ingredients and a few things from home, we made a really tasty pizza (recipe below!).
Crumbled Sausage Pizza with Mashed Butternut Squash, Brussel Sprouts, and Onions
- Sangak bread (or your favorite pizza crust)
- Brussel Sprouts
- White onion
- Butternut Squash
- Smoked Mozzarella
1. Prepare all of your ingredients:
– Brussel Sprouts: grate into shreds and sauté in a pan with oil and spices
– Onion: slice thinly and sauté in a pan with oil and spices
– Butternut Squash: cube and boil until tender. Mash with butter and honey
– Sausage: remove from casing and crumble. Sauté until cooked through
2. Brush your dough/crust with oil and add seasonings to taste (we used avocado oil and garlic, salt, and pepper).
3. Sprinkle the brussel sprouts, onion, and sausage evenly onto your pizza. Then, use a piping bag (or a Ziploc will do) to pipe on dollops of mashed butternut squash. Lastly, sprinkle the smoked mozzarella in a thin, even layer.
4. Bake until crust is crispy and the cheese is golden brown. Enjoy!